COACH YOU BLOG
Gremlins, Saboteurs and a BRAND NEW WAY to stop beating yourself up …
“You Idiot!” Does that sound familiar? You are not alone. We ALL spend more time speaking negatively towards ourselves than we do being positive.
There has been so much work done on combating one’s inner critic:
- Giving them a name is great, it gives you a couple of seconds to disassociate from the emotion and make a more rational choice. A couple of mine are the over-wrought and over-excited “Fanella Fanackapanz” saboteur speaking ten to the dozen, eyes wide with fear and out of control or “Bertha”, the Avoider saboteur, who says “Why bother … put your feet up, it’ll wait until later”. And, of course, the deadline looms, the level of anxiety rises and Fanella kicks in!
Indeed, I came up with my own Acronym for managing them. When you sense the discomfort of the negative saboteur, get up and choose one of the below to disrupt that neural pathway in your brain:
- Walk – quick enough to get out of breath and put oxygen around your brain
- Outside – in the fresh air, again breathe deeply
- Run – get out of breath and boost your serotonin levels
- Dance – breathe, throw yourself into it and hopefully laughter will lift your mood
- Sing – another great mood enhancer with added oxygen benefits
Saboteurs are the most common frustration of people not reaching their goals. Death bed confessors lament the things they didn’t do, not the things they did.
I have supported many clients to recognise and manage their saboteurs, knowing how difficult it is myself. THIS YEAR HAS BEEN A BREAKTHROUGH! Out of professional interest I did the Thrive Programme at the end of last year and learned a great deal but, for me, it didn’t stick.
At the start of the Pandemic, as a Co-Active Coach of 16 years standing, I was invited to take the Positive Intelligence Course and it has had a profound effect on me. It’s all about Mental Fitness, which is our capacity to handle life’s challenges with a positive mindset instead of becoming stressed, upset or other negative emotions. I now have the knowledge and ability to switch the negative Saboteur self-talk to the positive Sage brain in seconds, in the middle of whatever is happening in my life. This was learned in six weeks, using an app which supports the atrophy of the negative neural pathways and creates new, more powerful neural pathways in the area of the brain described as the Sage Brain.
This app has taken the basic concepts of most common modalities and combined the essence of them into a single operating system which works. So much so that I am now bringing it to all my clients, building it into the coaching package.
If you’d like to discover your saboteurs then take the assessment on www.positiveintelligence.com